Campaign of the Month: May 2021
Baghdad on the Bayou
Dresden Files Series Timeline
Found this online and thought it was a handy reference tool. Thought I would include it here if you want to use it.
Dresden Files Series Chronology
- 0 ASF, March: Storm Front. Harry is 25, according to Jim, and he’s been wizarding professionally for two years. We can reasonably place the year 0 in the timeline within a year or two of 2000. I went with 2000, for the dates used in my character’s backstory.
- 0 ASF, September (full moon): Harry travels to Minnesota. Someone saw something in a lake.
- 0 ASF, October (full moon): Fool Moon. Billy and Georgia are in college, probably freshman or sophomores, and definitely not yet 21 (legal age to rent a van in Chicago). [FM 41, 258]
- 0 ASF, November: Ghoul, Goblin graphic novel. A small town family is tormented by creatures of the Nevernever.
- 1 ASF: Harry sets up an arrangement with the Cobbs at Shoegasm, establishing their livelihood in exchange for a cease in their shrinking inventory. (Seven years before It’s My Birthday Too)
- 1 ASF: Thomas’ last job for the Oblivion War, until Backup. (Nearly 8 years before Backup, which takes place in March of 9 ASF)
- 1 ASF: B is for Bigfoot short story. Irwin is 8 or 9.
- 1 ASF, October: Grave Peril. Probably early October, so that there could be a few weeks between Susan’s departure and the birthday card she sends Harry on Halloween.
Harry Carpenter is born and instantly doomed to get beaten up every day of his life. Harry meets Father Forthill sometime during the previous year, between Ghoul, Goblin in November of 0 ASF and Grave Peril.
- 2 ASF, January: Harry goes to a football game with the Alphas, and does not get out again until…
- 2 ASF, June (Midsummer): Summer Knight.
- June 16 — The Reds attack Archangel. Senior Council member Simon Pietrovitch (Justin’s old master and the Council’s vampire expert) is killed, among many others.
- June 17 — Murphy’s first husband, Gregory Taggart, dies of cancer at age 43.
- June 18 — A rain of toads, Harry makes his deal with Mab, the Council meeting is held, and Elaine returns.
- 3 ASF, late February: Death Masks. Susan has been gone about a year and a half. “A few years” after 1997, when the Shroud was nearly destroyed in a mysterious fire. [DM 28] Also, this is a mayoral election year, so we can assume with confidence that this book takes place in 2003.
- 3 ASF, late November: Assuming a nine-month pregnancy, Maggie is born.
- 3/4 ASF (between DM and BR): Vignette, short story.
- 4 ASF, summer: Mold demons devour the Beetle’s interior. They were “a present from the guest villain a few months ago.” Also, Harry travels to “exotic Oklahoma” and runs down a rogue storm sylph as a favor to the Summer Lady.
- 4 ASF: Molly manifests her magic.
- 4 ASF, late autumn: Blood Rites. We now know this takes place a year after DM, as after Inari’s failed attempt to seduce Harry, he tells Thomas that it had been over a year since he had been with Susan [BR 161]. We also know it takes place slightly less than two years before PG. We know that Lisa Murphy (Karrin’s youngest sister) is one month shy of 21, and that her fiancee Rick/Rich is nearly twice her age.
- Late 4 ASF/Early 5 ASF: Murphy begins teaching Harry to stick fight.
From Heorot: “I don’t think Caine knew much about quarterstaff fighting. Murphy had been teaching it to me, however, for almost four years.”
- 5 ASF, October (Halloween): Dead Beat. Georgia is now in Grad School, which makes sense now that we know she was in college in FM. We’re not sure when they started grad school, but we do know that she and the rest of the Alphas are going to graduate in a year and a half. Ramirez is 20, according to Word of Jim.
October 29: The book begins.
October 31: The Darkhallow
- 5 ASF, ? November: I Was a Teenage Bigfoot, short story. Irwin is 14. It takes place after Dead Beat, as Harry is a Warden.
- 6 ASF, March: War Cry, graphic novel. Harry and a trio of young Wardens defend an outpost of Venatori from a Red Court attack.
- 6 ASF, spring: Something Borrowed, short story. Billy and Georgia are married, despite the best efforts of Maeve and Jenny Greenteeth. Vague references to weather conditions like Murphy just wearing a shirt, but dons a jacket to go into Undertown.
- 6 ASF, July: Proven Guilty. A few days later: Molly’s first thaumaturgy lesson, tracking Mouse with a few hairs. (Referenced in Bombshells)
- 7 ASF, February 14th: Random LARPer Constance Bushnell/Drulinda is turned by the Black Court. (Referenced in It’s My Birthday Too)
- 7 ASF, spring: Harry, Ramirez, and Luccio train baby wardens at “Camp Kaboom.” Badness ensues.
- 7 ASF, May: White Night. Marcone becomes the first vanilla human freeholding lord under the Unseelie Accords. Molly is 19.
- 7 ASF, June: The Alphas graduate.
- 8 ASF, February 13-14: Down Town, graphic novel. Harry and Molly fight a slime monster slaughtering local businessmen.
- 8 ASF, February 14: It’s My Birthday Too, short story. Thomas turns 39-40. Molly is 20 (“just out of her teens”) and has been Harry’s apprentice for a year and a half.
- 8 ASF, a few months after DT/IMBT: Wild Card, graphic novel. Harry vs. the chaotic, vicious, Joker-ish Puck.
Shortly After: Mike, a microfiction about a trip to the mechanic.
- 8 ASF, ?: Dog Men, graphic novel. Harry and Listens-to-Wind team up against monsters terrorizing a rural community.
- 8 ASF, October: Heorot, short story.
- 8 ASF, late November: Small Favor.
- 9 ASF, early March: Backup, novelette published. (Takes place a few days before ice skating closes in Millennium Park, which is around March 13th)
- 9 ASF, ?, a week before Day Off: Harry travels to New Orleans and demonstrates a ritual cleansing for the Paranetters, disrupting the fiendish wrath of Darth Wannabe.
- 9 ASF, ?: Day Off, short story. Does not take place in winter, as Harry and Luccio’s date was supposed to include horseback riding.
- 9 ASF, summer: The Warrior, short story.
- 9 ASF, summer: Curses, short story. Chronologically it fits in 2008-2009 — all decent seasons for the Cubs, with Tampa Bay also rising in the ranks.
- 9 ASF, May to 10 ASF, Summer, ?: AAAA Wizardry, short story.
- 10 ASF, March: Last Call short story.
- 10 ASF, Summer: Turn Coat (and simultaneously, the Morgan POV microfiction, Journal)
- 10 ASF, mid-October: Bigfoot on Campus, short story. Irwin is 18.
- 11 ASF, late March (8 months before Changes): Even Hand, Marcone POV short story.
- 11 ASF, September: Love Hurts, short story.
- 11 ASF, October: Changes and simultaneously Goodbye, microfiction best read AFTER Ghost Story
- 11 ASF, October 45 minutes later: Aftermath, Murphy’s POV novelette.
- 11 ASF, October: ‘Baghdad on the Bayou’ starts with the Cavalier’s adventure Hunter or Hunted and continues in the Irregular’s adventures Road to Shell Beach, Banks and Bignets, and Beyond, and Ferry at Algiers Point
- 11 ASF, November. Cavalier’s adventure Monster Mash
- 11 ASF, December. Irregular’s adventure, Riders In The Storm and in late Decemberish: Billy and Georgia’s daughter is born and Cavalier’s adventures Highway to Hell and In Memoriam
- 12 ASF, May 9th: Ghost Story
- 12 ASF, September: Bombshells, Molly POV short story.
- 12 ASF, October 31: Cold Days
- 12 ASF, November: A few days after CD – Cold Case, Molly POV short story.
- 14 ASF, late February: Skin Game
- 14 ASF, mid-May: Jury Duty, short story.
- 14 ASF, late May/early June: Day One, Butters POV short story, concurrently with Zoo Day, Harry/Maggie/Mouse POV short story. (Several weeks after Skin Game)
- 14 ASF: Job Placement – Irwin Pounder POV microfiction
- 14 ASF, July: Peace Talks and Battle Ground
- 14 ASF, December 24th: Christmas Eve, short story